Show All Answers


  1. How long will my program take?

    An advisor can help you chart out a timeline that works for you. Generally, our credential programs take 1/1/2-2 years, while the master’s programs take 1-2 years. The length of your program depends entirely on how many units you take each semester. The graduate program is designed to accommodate full-time working professionals.

  2. I received my degree from out of state. Can Biola offer me a CSET waiver?

    Biola University may only issue subject matter waivers for degrees completed at Biola for programs preapproved by the California Commission for Teacher Credentialing (CCTC). We do not currently evaluate transcripts; however, students who are interested in having a transcript evaluation can contact the Center for Careers in Teaching at Cal State Fullerton, (714) 278-7130.

  3. I'd like to apply for the master’s or Credential program, but my B.A. is from outside of the USA. Is it still valid?

    Your four-year degree must be evaluated by an approved foreign evaluation agency to determine whether your degree is approved within the USA.

  4. I am a substitute teacher. Can any of my hours count for fieldwork or student teaching?

    If you are teaching or substituting full-time in a classroom, your professor will reduce your fieldwork hours as follows:

    SEED 519 Foundations of Ed. 10 hours instead of 25
    SEED 520/525 Reading 10 hours instead of 35
    SEED 543/545 Curriculum 15 hours instead of 60


  5. If I have already been accepted to Biola's graduate teaching credential program, I am assuming this means I can complete the program. So why am I applying to student teach?

    The formal process of application is intended to identify those who are planning to student teach, to assess their readiness for student teaching, and to schedule their student teaching placement. It is also a checkpoint so we can be sure that applicants meet all the necessary requirements prior to their student teaching. The process of going through an interview with a faculty panel is recommended by the state and serves as a good experience for future teaching interviews.

  6. I graduated from Biola with 30 units of Bible already. Why do I have to take another graduate theology course when my district will not honor the units on the pay scale?

    The theology requirement is a Biola University graduate program standard established by the Graduate Studies Committee and the Provost. It reflects our strong commitment to integrate educational principles with biblical teaching. Additionally, some districts will count the units on the pay scale.

  7. I graduated from Biola's undergraduate program and am transitioning into the graduate education program. Why can't I pre-register for classes for next semester?

    Re-application is required by the Registrar’s Office since you are essentially beginning a new program. The graduate program has additional requirements and the application process serves as a checkpoint on these issues.

  8. Can I transfer in a course to Biola with a "C" grade?

    The School of Education requires that students maintain a 3.0 GPA for graduation, which is the equivalent of a “B” letter grade; therefore all coursework being transferred in from another college or university must have been completed with the 3.0 minimum requirement.

  9. Do extension courses transfer into the M.A.Ed. program?

    The Registrar only recognizes courses that count toward a student’s degree. Most extension courses do not count toward a master’s degree. However, they can count towards credentials and certificates. Have a Biola credential analyst answer specific questions related to coursework. Call (562) 903-4843.

  10. If I first apply only for the graduate teaching credential, how and when do I change to the master’s program? Is there a separate application?

    If you meet the master’s program requirements, a change of program form must be submitted to the School of Education in order to be officially enrolled in the master’s program.

  11. Regarding the pastoral reference to get into the program: what if I belong to a mega-church and do not personally know the pastor? Is there anyone else who can provide the reference? What if I have not been involved in a church?

    A spiritual leader in your church who knows you personally would be permissible (i.e. deacon, deaconess, elder, small group leader, etc.) but this reference is necessary for admission. The pastor's reference must come from the church that you have been currently involved with for the past year.

Degree Programs

  1. How do I meet the U.S. Constitution requirement? Is this a class or an exam? Where can I take it?

    The U.S. Constitution course requirement is met by earning a C or better in HIST 107 or POSC 225 at Biola. There are three other ways to meet this requirement:

    • If the course is taken at a school other than Biola, you must submit a transcript and a course description or letter on college letterhead to the School of Education to confirm that the course has been taken and meets the U.S. Constitution requirement.
    • You may take a U.S. Constitution competency exam available at Biola University in September and February. Exams are also given at other universities.
    • You have earned a BA/BS degree at a CSU campus (UC degreeholders must meet the requirement from either of the two options listed above).
  2. Why do I have to take multiple subject competency courses if I am also taking the CSET, which covers multiple subjects?

    The CSET exam meets the state subject matter competency requirement, however, the competency courses integrate strategies and methodology with content.

  3. What happens if I can't pass the CSET?


    Can I still student teach?
    No. Students are required by the state of California to meet subject matter competency prior to student teaching.
  4. Can my credential courses roll over into either master’s program? Is there a cut-off date for when the units would no longer be valid?

    All graduate level credential courses may be applied to the MAT program.  Units are usually valid for approximately five years with department approval.  However, none of these courses can be applied to the MAEd program.

  5. Where are the school districts that Biola is willing to use for student teaching under contract? What is the farthest distance Biola supervisors would be willing to travel?

    To view a list of the schools and districts we partner with, click here

    As long as we can support you in your student teaching with a supervisor who is a Biola employee, aligned with the spiritual values of the University, we will make every effort to accommodate you. Supervisors are often available in a variety of locations if we know ahead of time. These requests are handled on a case-by-case basis. However, we are more likely to be able to accommodate student teaching under contract if the school is within a 15-mile radius of Biola University's La Mirada campus. 

  6. If I fail a course in the graduate education program, what are my options?

    You would need to retake the course.

  7. What happens if my GPA goes below 2.75 in the graduate credential program (or below 3.0 in the M.A.Ed. or M.A.T.)?

    You will be placed on probationary status with a formal letter of warning. Your GPA must be raised to the minimum standard and you will be evaluated semester by semester.

  8. Which master’s program would best meet my needs, the M.A.Ed. or the M.A.T.?

    The M.A. in Teaching is designed for the K-12 classroom practitioner to improve their teaching skills to the highest levels. It requires 30 units beyond the B.A. The M.A.Ed. is designed for those wanting to work in the K-12 classroom or serve in curriculum development, administration, or teach at the collegiate level. It better prepares candidates for moving to a doctoral level of study. If you would like to discuss this further with one of our credential analysts, please call the School of Education office at 562-903-4843.

Financial Aid

  1. What is the APLE program? Where can I find out about it? What are Biola’s requirements for recommending me for the APLE grant?

    Applications for the APLE Loan Assumption Program are available online and must be submitted to Melinda Soto in the School of Education. This loan assumes up to $11,000 of student loans in exchange for teaching in a school for four years that is designated low-performing, low-income or hard to staff, or by teaching in a subject area where there is a teacher shortage. This program is available for students who have completed at least 60 semester units and do not hold any previous credentials. Please visit www.csac.ca.gov for more information.

  2. Is there any other financial assistance available for master’s students?

    Biola University makes available a limited amount of grant money each year. Application forms are available on the School of Education website and are due by April 15 for the following year. Grants are distributed based on financial need and academic qualifications. A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required for the School of Education faculty scholarship.

Biola University
13800 Biola Ave. La Mirada, CA 90639